Volunteer Opportunities and Internships
New York Live Arts is accepting ushers. Volunteers contribute to the success of our performances and receive free admission in exchange. For more information and to sign-up, please call the box office at 212.924.0077.
New York Live Arts seeks creative and forward-thinking candidates for competitive administrative and production internships. All applicants are expected to be independent, computer-literate workers who are passionate about the arts; prior experience in the dance field is not required. Related educational or work experience is preferred.
Benefits include complimentary tickets to New York Live Arts events and, often, to events at other cultural venues. A close view will be afforded of the workings, both administrative and programmatic, of a major New York cultural institution that is active in local, regional, and global arenas.
Internships are offered year-round. The schedule and weekly hours are flexible. Applicants should be able to house themselves in the NY metro area. Internships are unpaid and targeted towards those seeking academic credit or work experience in a fast-paced arts organization.
Intern applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the internship position you are applying for in the subject line.
Marketing & Front of House Intern
This position works directly with the Marketing Director, Audience Services Manager and the Marketing & Studio Rental Associate. The intern will participate in and support the full range of the department’s activities, including market research, departmental archiving and organization, and front of house duties.
- File, post and archive all press
- Update institutional and individual artist press kits
- Index and update institutional archive of images and videos
- Research press and marketing opportunities
- Distribute postcards, flyers and posters as directed
- Assist with research for social media and blog posts
- Restocking the lobby with resource materials and discarding expired materials
- Usher or Box Office coverage as needed
- Assist within the Marketing Department and Front of House department as needed
- 10-12 hours a week. May require some evenings.
- Strong organizational skills
- Eye for detail
- Proficient understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel and Gmail
All candidates should email their cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Marketing & FOH intern
New York Live Arts is seeking an intern to work with its development staff at its offices on 19th Street in Chelsea.
The intern will participate in and support the full range of the department’s activities, including special events, membership, institutional giving, and individual giving. Depending on the department’s workload at any given time, the intern may work for a sustained period with one area or rotate among projects in each area.
In addition to the qualifications below, the position requires discretion and confidentiality with regard to donor information and other activities of New York Live Arts. The position is unpaid, and we welcome applicants seeking academic credit or community service hours in accordance with their institution’s requirements. The intern will have opportunities to attend performances and other events at Live Arts and some affiliated organizations.
- Support preparations for fundraising and member events
- Draft correspondence and other written materials; prepare mailings and assemble collateral materials
- Research individual and institutional donor prospects
- Enter and maintain information in Patron Manager database
- Strong written and verbal skills in English
- Good attention to detail and ability to synthesize information
- Ability to prioritize and meet hard deadlines
- Proficient understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- A minimum of eight hours a week or longer, with some late evenings and long days to staff events or participate in other activities outside business hours.
All candidates should email their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Development Intern
Department: Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company
Position Reports to: Lighting Supervisor
The Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company seeks a lighting intern for a dynamic season of new work creation, touring, education, and humanities events. The intern will gain experience in lighting supervision for dance and will assist in the touring adaptation of a new piece premiering this fall. The intern will work directly with the production team to create documents in Vectorworks, Lightwright and Excel for a 15-theater fall tour. The intern will have the opportunity to observe and assist with the load-in, lighting focus and touring of several pieces.
Production Internships run from August to April.
Inquiries can be submitted to: